Travel Uzbek Forum

Recommended

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Recommended

Post by Admin on 24.07.16 8:14

All Bukhara bread tastes awesome, light with many air bubbles because of the use of sourdough. Our favourite experience eating was at Rustam House, a home which cooks meals for its guests but reservations need to be made in advance. The food was so good and fresh that we ate there 3 times (well actually, we packed food to take with us on the plane the last time). The vegetarian dimlama (mixed vegetable stew) came cooked in individual claypots and was spectacular with delicate spices like bayleaves etc. They serve a very smooth cornmeal soup sometimes with pureed carrots. Their salads are fresh but honestly pale in comparison to their cooked food. One afternoon we had a delicious chickpea (they call it “nooth”), potato and carrot plov which wasn’t greasy but filling and their delicious apple pie with black tea for dessert. Best of all, they have a spicy paste (available in most restaurants but this was the tastiest one) called “achik” (a word Gulsanam of Advantours taught us Smile ) made of not just chilli but also walnuts and spices like coriander seeds. They were kind enough to share their recipe with me. Rustam and Mallika’s son, Raushan (their number is on TripAdvisor), speaks perfect English and is also a jeweller making finely filigreed silver jewelry made old Bukhara style so be sure to ask to take a look at the jewelry made by him. Other restaurants we visited included Magrivi (recommended by our guide Saukhrob, best for their wholesome salads, made me veggie Shashlik, food’s a bit on the oily side especially the stirfried mixed veggies); Doston House (very good vegetarian soup, delicate little spinach and cheese ravioli) which were pretty good but a lot of their food was served cold and service unlike at Rustam's "private home" was extremely impersonal even though they sell themselves as “private home” meals; and the chor bokr restaurant (outside the chor bokr site) which made me vegetarian shashlik with marinade and makes excellent fateyar (a flaky non bread) in the tandyr. Unfortunately, the Minzifa restaurant was shut for renovation but I believe it’s very good for vegetarians. The breakfast served by the hotel was excellent, especially the quince jam, which they gave me a large bottle of to take home as a gift when I expressed how much I loved it and wanted to buy some from the market.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://travel.uzbekforum.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top